Sunday, March 6, 2011

CAMPHOR LAUREL TREE with CROWS NEST 7th March 2011

 Quick crow sketches

The Camphor Laurel tree, native to South East Asia, was introduced in Australia in 1822  The tree is now a declared menace.  It contains significant amounts of various chemicals known or suspected of being toxic and carcinogenic.   It easily ranks as the most toxic plant in Australian history.  Most birds suffer from eating the berries of the Camphor Laurel tree, either by sterilisation, or death.  Crows, like to feed on the top part of the tree, on the new berries.  They seem to survive the toxins, and they build their nests in the trees.  Only occasionally will a crow die, due to camphor addiction.  Sadly, some of our native species of birds have become extinct, because of these trees.

7 comments:

  1. What a scary tree!! I'm surprised they are not cut down wherever they are found!! Nice sketch though! I am horrible at sketching birds...birds of ANY sort!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sketches - Just saw a nature show on Australia this past weekend; looks like such a fascinating place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave thank you, and thanks for dropping by.

    Hap, my bird sketching skills are not the best either, something I need to practice on. Pity they wont sit still long enough hey? Inconsiderate I think. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, first I must confess that ALL my drawing skills are non existent....not just birds but pretty much the rest of the globe as well! I keep trying to draw...and pretty much falling on my face each time. You are doing WELL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hap, start with drawing something familiar in your house. Get a sketchbook, and fill it with small sketches. I did that once before to get myself back into drawing again. I drew the plug for the sink, a cup, a pencil, a brush, erasure, all sorts of everyday things, I filled that darn sketchbook. :D I drew one thing every day. Good luck..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I just might give that a try! I "THINK" I can draw a cup....I'm pretty sure I can draw a pencil....THANKS JJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it Hap. You wont be sorry. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...